Monday, June 25, 2018

World Cupdate: Checking in On, and Revising, Group Finish Predictions

The World Cup is half over, in terms of matches played, which is very sad, but even sadder it turns out that I was not 100% accurate in my predictions. With the final round of group play ready to kick off, most groups still have lots on the line, so it's a good time to assess how things are shaping up (turns out, pretty cool!) and take another look into the crystal ball of this-time-I-really-mean-100%-correct prognostication.

Group A
What I Got Right: Not to brag, but most of it. Saudi Arabia are in last with a terrible GD as predicted, and Uruguay and Russia are guaranteed to be moving on to the knock outs, with today's match deciding little more than placement.
What I Got Wrong: Egypt giving it more of a fight, as I had them on a point here and still alive going into the final games.
What's Left to Happen: Uruguay and Russia will duke it out to top the group. Russia have it with a win or a draw, and Uruguay have looked very mediocre with two 1-0 wins to Russia's resounding 8-1 aggregate score line, but I'm going to back Uruguay to get a third 1-0 and win Group A.

Group B
What I Got Right: Spain topping the group, Iran on 3 points through two games and Morocco looking very much like a team deserving of a spot in the knockout rounds.
What I Got Wrong: Morocco not actually getting anything for looking good. They are at roughly 6 points less than the 6 I predicted through two. Portugal have also been a bit less abject than predicted.
What's Left to Happen: Everything! Iran could still pull off a shock by upsetting Portugal and stealing a spot in the Knockouts, even topping the group should Spain not beat Morocco. Football is cruel, though, so the Iberians will probably both get the job done and move on, with Spain the more comprehensive winners to go top.


Group C
What I Got Right: Almost everything. France are top on 6 points with Denmark second on 4, as called, with only the specifics of who those results came against changed.
What I Got Wrong: Swapped which of Australia and Peru would draw with Denmark (Ozzies) and which would lose (Peruvians).
What's Left to Happen: Australia could still advance should they win and Denmark lose, which is definitely possible. France and Denmark would both be happy with a draw, however, and it's likely that will come down the pipe to kill that off, in tandem with Peru taking their match for good measure.

Group D
What I Got Right: The Argentina-Iceland 1-1 draw, and Nigeria on 3 points.
What I Got Wrong: Croatia, 2-0 winners over Nigeria and 3-0 murderers of Messi, have been a little better than the 1 point I'd predicted so far, and 2 points total. Oops.
What's Left to Happen: Second place, realistically, as Croatia aren't likely to lose their 5 goal lead even should they lose and Nigeria win to pull level on 6 points. The African side need just a draw, while Argentina need a win and to better Iceland's results, and Iceland need a win and either a less-valuable Argentina win or a multi-goal win and Nigeria-Argentina draw. I fancy Iceland to get a good result against a complacent Croatia, but I also think, despite all evidence to the contrary, Messi is still good enough to drag this dumpster fire Argentina side to the knockouts with a "fuck you, you're not stopping me" day.

Group E
What I Got Right: Brazil are top, technically.
What I Got Wrong: Most everything else. They've been far less prolific than tipped, while the rest of the group is baring little resemblance to my tips as the only side eliminated, Costa Rica, were my second place squad.
What's Left to Happen: All of the top three could still go home, should they lose and see the wrong result in the other match. I think both games run out as draws and the table remains unchanged.

Group F
What I Got Right: I swapped the teams who gave them, but nailed South Korea's 0-1 and 1-2 defeats, as well as Sweden at a win and a loss.
What I Got Wrong: Mexico over Germany, but come on, who didn't.
What's Left to Happen: There would be something brutally unfair about Mexico pulling off the result of the tournament, remaining perfect in their next game, then still going out in a three-way tie at 6 points. International football is usually brutal. Germany finally wakes up and romps over South Korea, while Sweden pull off a one goal draw which sees them through on something like the sixth tie-breaker, goals scored among tied teams, with the removal of Mexico's 2-1 win over Korea to Sweden's 1-0 being the difference.

Group G
What I Got Right: Belgium are perfect, albeit even goalier than expected.
What I Got Wrong: England almost Englanded their first match but found a winner, then never looked in doubt against Panama, securing advancement with a game to spare.
What's Left to Happen: A very uninspired game between Belgium-England if it's shaping up for the half of the bracket second place will earn to be softer than the winner's half. Anyone in danger of a second-yellow suspension will be rested, and Belgium will probably win because they're better.

Group H
What I Got Right: The two smaller confederation sides being live dogs.
What I Got Wrong: Not live enough that I pipped them to be topping the group heading into the final day with Poland dead in the water.
What's Left to Happen: Colombia looked pretty dang good against Poland, which is sad, because they'll likely knock out the very likable Senegal side. Japan should take it to Poland based on how they've been playing this tournament, though, so they'll earn the honor of being the first team to try to knock England out on penalties.

No comments:

Post a Comment